East Anglian Daily Times
Suffolk doctor collapses in court after he is sent to prison
By Chris Shimwell
February 18, 2016

Nadir Omara psychiatric-psychiatrists-psychiatrist-psychsearch.net-psych-psychs-psychiatryNadir Omara, 48, of Sapling Place, Rushmere St Andrew, denied he drunkenly distressed two female colleagues at the Abbeycare addiction treatment centre, near Newmarket, with “sexually implicit” phone calls.

However, the consultant psychiatrist was convicted on both counts of sending indecent communications at his trial in January.

“The calls were overtly sexual and disturbing, with specific sexual language,” said chairman of the magistrates Stuart Roy yesterday, sentencing at Bury St Edmunds magistrates’ court.

Upon hearing he would be jailed, Omara looked stunned and asked Mr Roy to repeat himself.

He then stumbled to his right and sat down, slumping to the floor moments later.

There was a second’s pause before court staff leapt into action, calling for an ambulance and rushing to the defendant’s aid.

Omara’s wife, who was in the public gallery, ran down into court and tried to reach her husband but was led outside by court staff.

At his trial, magistrates were told he called up overnight staff at the Kentford clinic 20 times between 1.20am and 2.34am on November 13 last year, with a female member of staff cutting him off after the initial “upsetting calls”.

Omara made the calls from his mobile, which was listed on the wall at the clinic as he was one of the psychiatrists employed there.

Before he collapsed, Omara told the magistrates he was “genuinely sorry” to have let down his occupation, colleagues and wife.

However, he did not apologise directly to the two care workers, who were not present for the sentencing.

“I’ve no grudges against either of them,” he said.

Sentencing was adjourned for a pre-sentencing report to be carried out.

Mr Roy said: “We feel that having read the report and listened to what’s gone on that this is so serious that custody is the appropriate sentence for this.”

He said this was because the calls had been “persistent and offensive”.

“It would appear you don’t accept the prosecution account even after you had been convicted,” he said.

“We’re concerned that given your position as a doctor it was an abuse of power over the two ladies that suffered these calls.”

Omara was given 12 weeks custody for each of the two charges, which he will serve concurrently.

After he collapsed, officers ran up to the dock from the cells and spoke to Omara.

“It’s all right, your wife’s here, I’m here,” said the security guard as he helped Omara into a sitting position.

“I’m okay, I’m okay,” said the defendant, still looking shaken.

Four officers were in the dock at one stage, before leading Omara down the steps to the cells, where he was examined by paramedics.

Neither of the two victims had asked for compensation but Omara must pay costs of £620 and a victim surcharge of £60.

Omara had admitted at his trial he made the calls to the addiction clinic but claimed he was asking for antihistamines, having become ill after drinking “four or five” double whiskies to celebrate his anniversary.

Magistrates at the time told Omara he was not a credible witness and his explanation that he was calling to check if they had medication was not convincing.

Prosecuting in January, Carol Huston described his actions as “out of character” and said he was a man who had made a mistake.

“But makes a mistake that’s upset two women who work in a care system and spend their time trying to help people, who would have received this dirty phone call from the defendant for his own gratification,” she said.